Some of the key areas project teams are challenged with involved areas such as managing demand planning and forecasting; integrating customer orders via EDI, and streamlining warehouse management to name just a few.
In general, CPG firms to keep in mind the following guidelines:
1. Process automation: Look for features and functions of an ERP system that takes out reliance on manual intervention and siloed spreadsheets, so the team is better positioned to deliver new products quickly and more cost-efficiently
2. Full Integration with CRM: Be sure the ERP system provides a seamless connection to CRM features for optimal customer service, helping to manage order customization, promotions, trade spending, and rebates. It’s key to easily manage customer relationships and sales orders.
3. Integrated Product Configuration: CPG companies are expected to provide quality and accuracy to customers. Enterprise systems should offer product configuration basics, and be integrated to configure and customize products based on unique needs, so it’s easy to make modifications, track costs, and maximize performance.
4. Compliance Functionality: Keep an eye out for the newest features to help comply with product safety standards. Today’s modern systems help organizations meet increasingly complex customer and regulatory mandates related to reporting, labels and other areas.
5. Streamlined EDI: Be sure systems can better streamline seasonal forecasts, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), distribution, and optimizing workflow.